As a physical or manual therapist, your main role is to treat patients. However, you must never forget that you are also running a business and that part of your time needs to be spent on activities that will help you to develop your business. Perhaps you already have ideas of what you want your business to become but you are not sure how to get there? This article describes some of the marketing tools and activities that Co-Kinetic has already created for you and shows you how to run a monthly marketing campaign that will take up very little of your time but will bring your business big rewards.
If you follow the marketing strategy which I outline below you will grow your business, there's no two ways about it (download this case study to see it in practice).
In a nutshell, it all begins with generating new prospective customer leads, moves on to nurturing your relationship with these prospective customers, and then the final stage is to offer these leads opportunities to get in front of you, so you can convert them to a paid 'product'.
But thanks to Facebook's algorithm changes over the last 4-5 years, and particularly in Jan this year, dramatically reducing the number of Page posts that people actually get to see, (which I've written more about here), if you think you can stick a few sexy looking pieces of social media on your social networks and sit back and wait for it to generate you stacks of new email leads, you're going to be waiting a looooooooooong time.
Yes, social media can absolutely play a powerful part in your marketing (a topic I present on regularly), but realistically these days, only if you're prepared to pay to promote your posts, and if you do pay to promote those posts, you must make sure you're doing it properly (however, I'll also help you with that!).
Let's start at the beginning.
As I've described, there are basically three stages in this marketing strategy, and it's a proven strategy that's working for 1000s of practitioners across the world, but you have to follow it through. You can't just do one part and then sit back and wait.
To make it as quick and easy for you as I can, each Co-Kinetic marketing campaign contains everything you need to implement this strategy from start to finish. But if you want new clients, you've got to cross the finish line with level 3. If you just want to generate a few new email leads, and keep your existing contacts happy, you can get away with doing just part 1 and part 2 but be prepared that it's not going to have a significant impact on your bottom line.
Here's how it works.
Level 1 - Lead generation (collecting leads of new prospective customers)
Before we start, remember that everything you do at this level MUST link to your lead collection page and lead magnet – that’s the most important thing. Without that, you won't be able to collect new leads.
That whole aspect is taken care of lead collection is take care of if you use the Co-Kinetic platform. Every campaign has a a Personal Campaign URL you can learn more here which takes people to your own personal lead collection page, that we’ve created for you. When that page visitor enters their email details, they will receive the lead magnet that they’ve signed up for. We collect the leads and store them against that campaign, in your account. If you have a Mailchimp account, we’ll also send them there. You don’t have to worry about anything.
The whole point and priority of this level is to collect new leads, period. But remember you’re offering something of value, in exchange for these new leads, so let your imagination run riot on how you let people know the content exists.
This is the content that a subscription to Co-Kinetic includes for lead generation purposes:
- Ready-made social media which you can post directly to your social networks through Co-Kinetic
- Pre-written blog post content and images (copyright free)
- Professionally designed newsletter/guide/cheat sheet/patient handouts (lead magnet)
- A personalised hosted lead collection page which delivers the lead magnet when the viewer completes the form
- Ad artwork for Facebook
This is what I suggest you do with that content:
- Post the social media provided to your social networks (you can do this in just 3 minutes through the Co-Kinetic site) - here’s how
- Post the videos we provide to YouTube/Vimeo and onto your website
- Publish the pre-written blog post we provide, on your website or blog
- Offer the blog post as a guest post on someone else’s blog (eg. If the post is about cycling injuries, offer it to cycling clubs or cycling shops)
- Print out the newsletter/lead magnet and distribute in your clinic/local area/clubs/businesses/help groups
- Run Facebook ads which link to your lead magnet/lead capture page – to get highly targeted leads of people who live locally with an interest in the topic you’re promoting
Here are the benefits you’ll get from doing the activities above:
- You'll be collecting new leads from all these activities
- Your social networks will be more engaging and authoritative
- The blog post and the videos will improve the search engine optimisation of your website, making it more findable and more likely to rank higher in search results
- Posting guest blog posts on other peoples’ web sites raises your profile and helps get you in front of new people (and can also contribute to improving your search rankings)
- Printing out the professionally designed lead magnets and newsletters builds strong authority and reputation and if rebranded are very effective brand awareness tools (all our public facing content can be rebranded)
- Facebook ads help you target very specific groups of people and can be a very powerful generator of new email leads
Note: Obviously any activities you undertake at Level 3 will also generate new leads if you promote them to people outside your own contact list by using the promotional material we create for you but I left it out of this level so we can keep them in distinct phases.
Level 2 – Nurture your existing contacts
This is a really simple level because it can just involve sending your existing email contacts a regular monthly nurture email, which we write for you.
If you use Mailchimp we give you a pre-designed template including text and images, just one click and it appears in your own Mailchimp account, ready for you to edit and send, which should take no more than 5-10 minutes. If you use another email platform, we give you some sample text and images to copy and paste in a new email. You can edit whatever you like.
All I'd say, is don’t be tempted to try and make any sales in this email (and if you do, keep it small and understated), it should just be a genuinely informative, educational email, offering value.
The one exception is that if you choose to run a free session (ie. take it to Level 3), then you absolutely should use this email to promote that free session with a Call to Action telling them how to book onto the session.
Every campaign kit ALSO contains a professionally designed two-page A4 article which you could print (or have professionally printed) and post to clients who you don't have email addresseses for. This would be a great activity if you knew for example, that they were particularly interested in the topic in question and it gives you an opportunity to re-establish contact with them, by providing value-added information, which also helps build reciprocity and further builds your professional authority and reputation.
Level 3 – The face to face conversion activity - the key to it all
This is the conversion stage. If you do well at this level, the sky is the limit for your business!
The goal of this level is to get someone face to face with you, ideally by offering a free (or mostly free) session allowing you the opportunity to further establish your expertise and create an opportunity for attendees to become paying customers.
It gets harder for us to create the content for you at this stage, because what you do at this level will come down to your own skills and preferences but we do suggest ideas specific to each campaign and where relevant provide you with promotional material including Facebook ads (images and text), posters, leaflets and postcards which you can print out (or have professionally printed).
The sorts of things that work well could include:
- Educational workshop/presentation
- Free assessments eg. posture, gait, muscle balance
- Equipment assessment eg. Bike fitting, running shoes
- Free treatment/exercise class/massage
This is the content that a subscription to Co-Kinetic includes for this level 3 face to face conversion activity
- Off-the-shelf PowerPoint presentation for running an educational workshop
- Promotional material promoting two or three recommended free sessions/events (ie. promotional themes).
Each promotional theme comes with the the following artwork both with bleeds (for professional printing) and without bleeds (for a normal home/office printer):
- Postcard (A6 size)
- Posters (A1, A3, A4 sizes)
- Leaflet (A5 size)
- Facebook ad artwork and suggested text (1200x627 pixels)
This is what I suggest you do with that content:
- Use the PowerPoint presentation to run an educational workshop. You can edit whatever you like, we recommend you add your logo and we provide blank slides so you can add additional content where desired.
- Have the postcards professionally printed (it costs just £20 to print 100 double sided postcards through Solopress) which you can then distribute locally or through your clinic/affiliate partners and post them to customers you don’t have email contact details for
- Print out the posters and leaflets and distribute them on local notice boards, clinic signage if you have any and on your clinic walls.
- Use the Facebook ad artwork to run Facebook ads promoting your free sessions.
Once you get people to the session, make sure you have 'products' to sell. I’ve included a bunch of ideas at this link.
This could be an additional more detailed assessment, packages of treatments, even packages of stock products, all depending on the type of session you’re running. If it’s marathon season, why not offer a special 10 for the price of 9 pre and post-run massages, or gait assessments at key training stages. Pick things you can do well, that demonstrate your skills and play to your strengths, and more importantly that you enjoy!
Follow this process through each month and you will never be short of new clients and you will build your business.
But as I've said before, and I'll no doubt say again, if you want more clients, you have to follow the strategy all the way through and you have to do it regularly and consistently.
Do not expect to just post the social media posts to your social networks and for your life and business to suddenly change. It's not going to, even though so many people still believe it will! Spoiler alert...most people don't even see most of the posts you post to your Facebook pages, here's why.
If you want new leads, it's very likely that you're going to have to pay for them (just like we used to in the old days by running ads in newspapers and sending out letters and leaflets to peoples' homes).
Paying to get in front of prospective clients, is not new and running ads on Facebook is an incredibly powerful way to target very specific groups of people, but you're going to have to pay to play. If you just expect your unpaid (organic) posts to deliver loads of new leads, you're going to be VERY disappointed.
And if you need new clients, you can't just stop at Level 1 and Level 2 because that alone is not going to convert for you. You have to take it to Level 3.
If on the other hand you're in that enviable position of not needing or wanting new clients and you just want to maintain the status quo, build your brand and authority, increase your findability on Google and keep your current contacts happy, Levels 1 and 2 will will take less than an hour a month, and will work perfectly for you.
I look forward to helping you use the Co-Kinetic content to turn your business into what you always dreamed it could be.