OK I confess I'm pretty chuffed with this new piece of Co-Kinetic "functionality" (that's the technical description for it) and I wanted to explain briefly why it's so cool and what it means for you :-)
How does a library subscription to physical therapy journal, Co-Kinetic, work?
- When you access the Co-Kinetic site from your library "portal" or "gateway" (the page you use to access your library resources) our system will automatically recognise that you belong to that institution (by using an IP address range that your library has provided us with for this purpose)
- You will then be asked to either create a new account (if you don't already have one) or log in to an existing account (if you have created one at any time in the past). And if you have created one in the past, we'd STRONGLY urge you to use that one and this is why...
- The very cool thing about this login process is that if you have access to ANY OTHER CONTENT on Co-Kinetic either because you've purchased it in the past OR you have rights to it through another association with whom we have a subscription deal, you will be able to access ALL your content under the one account. Having one log in will undoubtedly make sense but it gets even more valuable if you read on...
Why do we ask you to create (or use) an individual account to access the Co-Kinetic content your Institution has subscribed to?
There are three big reasons:
- The first is so that you can complete the quizzes and receive your personalised certificates - if we don't know who you are, we don't have a name to enter on the certificate. These certificates can be used as part of course work or for continuing professional development with membership associations you are joined to.
- The second reason is the new monthly "learning statement" - each month we'll send you an email with details of your learning activities on the Co-Kinetic site. If you use one account, all the time you spend reading articles, watching videos and completing elearning quizzes will be held under one account and included on one 'learning statement'. If you have two different accounts under two different email addresses, you'll get two separate email learning statements with this time divided by the account you were logged into when you did the reading/watching/quizzing.
- The third reason is that you can then access this content from anywhere, on any device, with an internet connection without having to go via your library "gateway".
However...there is one security measure that we should also mention
Approximately every 90 days (3 months) your institution content permissions will "reset" ie. they will be temporarily cleared from your personal account. All you need to do to reactivate access to your Institution content is to revisit the Co-Kinetic site from the original IP address ie. through your University library gateway the same way you did originally.
You will get a pop up message just as you did originally asking you to Sign up or Log in. Just make sure to log in under your usual personal account and all the content permissions will be reapplied to this account for a further 90 days.
Why do we do this permission reset?
Basically so that if anyone leaves the University, they don't have free indefinite access to the Co-Kinetic content.